Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Thing 8

I do see uses for some of the communication tools mentioned in this Thing. I really like the idea of using text messaging to inform patrons when their holds are ready or when their books are overdue. Alerts like that are perfect for a text message. I don't see as much use for SMS as a reference tool because the very nature of SMS is "short" messages and it is hard to conduct reference interviews and provide thorough information in such small snippets.

As far as email is concerned, I have not worked during a time that did not have email so I am not sure how much it has improved productivity. However, it seems that while new communication tools often improve some areas they also create new challenges...

I use email constantly, IM occasionally, and text rarely. However, my IMing has started to decrease as my texting has increased.

I tried to view at least five of the OPAL presentations without success. I don't know if it was a problem with the OPAL Archive or the network traffic we experience at that time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment